Laurel Macdonald, Landscape Architect and Principal-in-Charge, brings 30 years of experience to the firm, including 25 years in master planning and design for medical centers and education campus’, healing environment planning and design, housing, mixed-use and planned communities.
After graduating from the University of Washington with a Bachelor of Landscape Architecture and working for the City of Portland Parks and Recreation Planning & Development Department, Laurel founded Macdonald Environmental Planning, P.C. in 1982 as a design-oriented landscape architectural firm. From the beginning of her career, Laurel has had a solid understanding of the public process and project implementation. Her experience includes a wide variety projects on which she strives to employ eco-friendly sustainable design solutions. The scale of her work varies from developing system wide healing environment master plans and preparing a 10-year development master plan for Samaritan Regional Medical Center on their 50-acre campus, to detailed healing gardens, small meditation courtyards and rooftop terraces.
Laurel understands the importance of the relationship between nature and well-being. Evidence based design has shown that access to nature either by sight, sound, touch and/or smell lowers stress levels in staff, improves healthcare delivery, and improves the image of the organization in the eyes of the community. In recent years, Laurel has authored articles on Healing Environments Master Planning & Design and Greening Affordable Housing and Rooftop Designs. She has been a guest speaker at healthcare and architecture institute and facilities management conferences.
Through all of her project involvements the thread of sustainable design weaves a leadership pattern that creates “healthy people, healthy communities, and healthy environments” a lasting concept.
PRESENTATIONS/ SPEAKING EVENTS
- Speaker International Facilities Managers Association – May 2010 -Integrating Sustainability into the Built Environment- Portland, OR
- Presenter- Mt. Hood Community College – Sustainable Building Advisers April 2008
- Speaker Facilities Expo-Solutions for Engineering, Management and Operations – Portland, OR, April 2008
- Speaker AIBC Conference 2007 – Vancouver BC, (Living Green-Making a Difference – PNW Architecture)
PUBLICATIONS / ARTICLES
- Urban Land, SHAPING SPACES Engaging places, August 2008, page 154 “GREEN Sustainable Sites in the Pacific Northwest” by Laurel Macdonald Bonnell
- Healthcare Building Ideas, December /January 07/08, page 46 “Rooftop design solves sustainable and space challenges” by Laurel Macdonald Bonnell